2 cups tap water
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
Pour the water into a medium-sized saucepan. Add the salt. Place the pan onto the stove and turn the burner to “high”.
Wait approximately 10 minutes. When lots of bubbles are coming up from the bottom of the pot, it is boiling.
Yield: approximately 2 cups boiling water.
- Unsalted boiling water is preferable for tea, coffee, and hot chocolate.
- Salted boiling water is best if you plan to cook pasta, rice, vegetables, or potatoes.
- In areas where tap water quality is dubious, using bottled water may be safer.
- Boiling water is very hot. Do not pour it on yourself or you will get burned.
- Do not stand next to the stove waiting for the water to boil; this will only increase cooking time. After all, a watched pot never boils.
- Happy April Fool’s Day!